Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bugs Cause Happiness

I always find delightful and mind-bending info in Discover magazine. The article that has me jazzed this month (http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/raw-data-is-dirt-the-new-prozac) is a fascinating study that suggests common bacteria in the soil might have the effect of releasing serotonin in the brain. In other words, they could relieve depression.

I find this fascinating because I, like many people, have found that gardening or hiking in the great outdoors often makes me feel happier, with a more positive outlook on life. I thought it was because of the beauty inherent in such activities. Who wouldda thought it might be the fact that I was inhaling these little bacteria as I tromped on them?

It also raises an interesting question, especially after reading stories about people concerned that children are suffering from "nature deficit disorder" -- not spending enough time outdoors and in natural settings. Studies have suggested the rates of depression are rising, particularly among children. Could it be that we all just need to play outside more often?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinating article. And it must be true. In the winter, I sleep 10+ hours a night, am semi-depressed and have little energy. In the spring and summer, I spend 6-8 hours every weekday in my garden, get only 5 or 6 hours of sleep, feel strong and healthy, and am deliriously happy all the time.

jj said...

I thought you'd like that study. Of course, one could argue that your feelings could be a response to the amount of light, which also seems to have an effect on brain chemicals and mood. Who knows -- maybe both light and soil bugs are contributing factors.
In any case, I tend to be the same way (although I don't spend quite that much time in the yard, especially when I was at work, or especially when the summer heat has set in, like now).
I find myself wondering if there's a way to make the outdoors a part of everyone's life again. We have turned into such "indoor" people!