Monday, April 30, 2007

Save the Squares

On the TV news the other day, I saw Laurie David and Sheryl Crow doing their "green" tour, talking about how we all have to consume less. Their featured advice: Use only one square of toilet paper per visit to the toilet. Well, maybe two or three squares for the longer visits.

Now, I consider myself something of a saver in using many items. But I have a hard time accepting that their recommendations are practical. Maybe if they have really big squares and quadruple-ply paper...

I don't know whether to blame TV news for stressing a sound bite that was intended as humor and didn't at all reflect the true substance of their message -- or to blame the women for becoming too extreme in an attempt to make their point. In either case, it's sort of sad that people were given an excuse to laugh at and/or ignore a far larger, more-important message they were trying to convey.

No comments: